Executive Editor, Science and Environment
OPB is hiring an Executive Editor to oversee content creation on science and environmental topics. This salaried, exempt position is a full time, regular status position with benefits.
Establish the editorial mission and priorities of OPB’s science/environment team. Oversee the development of local/regional content on science and environmental topics, directly supervise the EarthFix editor and serve as Oregon Field Guide executive producer. Coordinate story planning and resource allocation across the team and across platforms (digital, TV and radio). Note: this position will not directly produce program content in the field.
Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some travel in-state and nationally may be necessary. Moving equipment up to 30 lbs. may be required. Extended periods of working at a computer and using a phone may be necessary. Work schedule may include early mornings, evenings and weekends and involve travel in inclement weather.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, environmental science or related field or relevant experience.
- 10 years’ experience in journalism production, with at least 3 years’ experience at a senior newsroom or production level.
- Knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities associated with reporting on scientific topics.
- Demonstrated ability to set and maintain an editorial agenda as a unit leader.
- Demonstrated ability to lead groups to new ways of collaborative working.
- Demonstrated ability to help producers, reporters and editors create compelling, creative, and journalistically important work.
- Demonstrated broadcast writing and production skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and enforce deadlines.
- Exceptional time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate programs, stories, and social media plans around newsworthy topics in ways consistent with public media standards and style.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets.
- Familiarity with and ability to participate in social media.
- Supervisory experience.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Significant experience in covering science and/or environmental topics at a specialized or national publication or outlet.
- Project management experience, especially in administration of grant-funded projects.
- Ability to watch the media trends and create new ways of working to adapt to the changing media environment.
- Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (Executive Editor) to email@example.com or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219.
- Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
All application materials are due by:
Sept. 15, 2017, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.