Share this job:
Open Fill-In Positions:
OPB Radio continues to grow our staff of highly motivated public media professionals to serve as Fill-In Announcers to prepare hourly newscasts, promotion, weather and occasional traffic, and ensure program continuity for OPB’s radio network. These hourly, non-exempt positions are part-time, temporary status positions.
This position serves as fill-in Host/Announcer for OPB’s radio network, preparing hourly newscasts, promotion, weather and occasional traffic and ensuring program continuity. In keeping with OPB’s strategies, this position edits program rundowns and locates opportunities to include OPB content. This position also monitors broadcasts during shift and responds to concerns and problems associated with broadcast audio/content, keeps up to date with OPB’s initiatives in a multimedia multiplatform environment, and finds ways to involve listeners with the expanding OPB environment. This position also assists with fundraising efforts related to radio membership drives.
This position in OPB’s Portland studios is scheduled at least once a week and for additional shifts as needed. A typical shift for this position ranges from 4 to 8 hours on weekends and/or late weeknights with the possibility of some weekday afternoons. Hours can be weekday mornings (5a-9a), middays (9a-3p) and/or weeknights (6p-10p). Weekend shifts may include early mornings (4:30a-Noon), middays (Noon-6p) or nights (6p-11p). Work is done in an office or studio using office, broadcast (and possibly production) equipment.
- Radio Broadcast experience as announcer/board operator.
- Experience in broadcast journalism.
- Authentic and engaging on-air reading skills, consistent with public broadcasting.
- Excellent writing and listening skills.
- Able to make appropriate decisions under stress.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to service and an aptitude for public broadcasting and an enthusiasm for OPB.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to use digital audio recording and editing equipment.
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of disciplines (reporters, spot editors, associate news director and weekday magazine hosts).
- Radio production experience.
- Experience with editorial decisions in newscast production.
- Demonstrated ability to handle newscasts and breaks within a program clock.
- Technology savvy, familiarity with collaborative tools and wikis, social media tools and experience using content management systems to update internal and external websites.
- Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (Fill-In Host/Announcer) and where you first learned of this job opening to firstname.lastname@example.org or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219.
- Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
This is an ongoing recruitment.
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at email@example.com.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.
OPB values our listeners, viewers and readers and the unique blend of ideas and attitudes that they bring to Oregon and the Northwest. We know it is our responsibility to find those who will further our mission by giving voice to our community in all its diversity, and we are wholly committed to doing so.
OPB only accepts resumes for open positions.