Managing Editor, Northwest News Network
OPB is looking for a Managing Editor to drive overall editorial strategy, content and output of the Northwest News Network (N3). While historically an audio-based reporting service, N3 has a growing role in creating stories that contribute to the evolving needs, interests and media consumption habits of our region’s diverse audience. N3 is one of the oldest regional collaborative journalism projects in public media and the 5-reporter team produces and shares news stories among 11 public media organizations in Washington, Oregon and Idaho to help people understand what ties regional residents together and what differentiates us. As a partner organization, OPB is leading the search process. This salaried, exempt position is a full time, regular status position with benefits.
The N3 Managing Editor supervises, assigns and edits the work of field reporters and leads collaborations between the organization’s newsrooms to enhance the quantity and quality of news reporting in the region. This person works with the NPR regional bureau chief to develop and execute a strong, collaborative news coverage strategy designed to share stories of the Northwest to nationwide digital and radio audiences.
This position is located at OPB’s offices in Portland, Oregon. Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some regional and national travel will be necessary. Moving equipment up to 20 lbs. may be required. Extended periods of working at a computer and using a phone may be necessary. Work schedule may include early mornings, evenings and weekends and involve travel in inclement weather.
Minimum Position Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attitudes):
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Five years of significant journalism experience, including at least one year in a news editing role.
- Demonstrated broadcast news writing and editing skills.
- Experience creating content for digital platforms, including social media.
- Supervisory experience and the ability to lead, direct, motivate and inspire a team working remotely.
- Ability to provide direction and editorial leadership to team of reporters and producers who are generating story ideas and producing content distributed on multiple platforms.
- Exceptional time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others.
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- A voracious news consumer.
- Demonstrated experience balancing urgency and depth in story selection and coverage decisions in a newsroom management role.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the culture and issues of the Northwest including both rural and urban areas.
All application materials are due by:
Dec. 20, 2017, 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Time).
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at email@example.com.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.