Network Support Technicians
OPB is looking for two Network Support Technicians (to be based in Bend, Oregon) passionate about technology to join an expanding team supporting OPB's content creation and distribution. This non-exempt regular status represented position is full-time and includes benefits.
Assist in supporting OPB’s engineering statewide IP and microwave network and its enterprise servers. Assist in managing OPB’s video and audio infrastructure for content creation and delivery across multiple sources and outlets. This involves maintaining, updating, installing and patching both traditional IT infrastructure and broadcast equipment such as transmitters, translators, microwave radios, two-way radio systems, signal processing network switches, and various systems related to content distribution systems and physical plant infrastructure.
The work is primarily based out of the Bend central office. Work will include travel to OPB sites across the state as needed and may include varying shifts including evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays and being a part of an on-call rotation. Travel and work at remote sites will require the operation of (and possibly the need to perform, in the field, basic emergency mechanical repairs to) four-wheel drive vehicles and possibly tracked snow vehicles. Exposure to very high voltages and RF non-ionizing radiation is possible at most sites. The work may require challenging physical activity, including tower climbing (up to 230 feet in height), lifting up to 50 pounds and moving up to 75 pounds, working in inclement weather, and/or walking or hiking around 2 miles.
- One year of professional experience
- Strong systems troubleshooting skills and understanding of signal flow
- Basic knowledge of: IP networking (including switch or router management), video resolutions, aspect ratios, file types, digital audio bitrates, sample rates, and physical connections
- Customer-service oriented and tactful; must maintain harmonious relationships with co-workers and interact with the public professionally and competently
- Must take initiative and balance multiple priorities with accuracy
- Organized and meticulous, oriented to problem solving, teamwork, systematic thinking, constant pursuit of improvement
- Ability to document complex systems, such as video, audio, RF or fiber delivery paths
- Must be able to lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds and move equipment up to 75 pounds
- Must have valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to meet physical demands of the working conditions
- Ability to be trained to wear proper safety equipment and follow safety protocols, perform emergency repairs on vehicles, be safe in inclement weather, and possibly climb towers
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB
- Two years’ experience in a video, audio, or IT related field
- Two-year technical degree
- Understanding of digital video theory, codec and wrapper types, and streaming
- Experience working in both Windows and OS X operating systems
- Basic electronic skills including operating a DMM, soldering, component level troubleshooting, and operating test equipment
- Experience configuring and maintaining large IP networks, including Layer 3 routing and VLAN management
- Experience working with automation systems and content management systems
- Experience with Crispin automation, Omneon servers, Enco and Wheatstone
- Tower climbing experience or tower/rigging certification
- Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (Network Support Technician) to email@example.com or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219.
- Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
All application materials are due by:
April 11, 2017, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.