NW Region Chief Engineer
OPB is looking for someone with broadcast experience who embraces the ever-changing media landscape to lead the team responsible for the media creation pipeline at our network center in Portland and the RF distribution technology at our remote sites located between The Dalles and Astoria, OR. This is a salaried, exempt, full time, regular status position with benefits
Oversee the maintenance and repair of existing installations and equipment in the Network Center and NW Region while rebuilding them to be more resilient, using technology to further OPB’s strategic goals and objectives. The NW Chief also serves as the named Chief Operator of Sites for the NW region, ensuring compliance with FCC regulations.
Working conditions vary widely, ranging from an office environment at OPB’s Portland offices to traveling the NW region to our remote transmission sites (as well as occasional support of the statewide network at remote sites). The position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, and may be required to respond to technical and off-air emergencies (24/7).
Travel and work at remote sites will require the operation of (and possibly the need to perform, in the field, basic emergency mechanical repairs to) 4-wheel drive vehicles and tracked snow vehicles. Exposure to very high voltages and RF non-ionizing radiation is possible at most sites. The work may require challenging physical activity, including lifting up to 50 pounds and moving up to 75 pounds, working in inclement weather, walking or hiking around 2 miles (possibly in snowshoes), and possible tower climbing.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, including education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position (such as broadcast, video, or audio experience, experience with large IP networks, etc.).
- Strong supervisory and management experience.
- Ability to maintain existing systems and equipment while envisioning and implementing new systems, equipment, etc. to meet changing needs of organization.
- Ability to lead others through the challenges of equipment management (installation, repair, maintenance, working through equipment failure, etc.).
- Creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to translate ideas into action.
- Skilled at providing customer service, which includes the ability to explain high level technical issues to a wide-variety of colleagues, stakeholders, contractors, etc.
- Awareness and ability to understand federal regulations governing television and radio broadcasting.
- Capacity to effectively manage complex projects, large budgets (approximately $1 million) and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity working in IP including local area networking, file handling, and protocol management as it relates to the broadcast environment.
- Ability to design and troubleshoot file-based workflows.
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing technological environment.
- Ability to appropriately and professionally represent OPB in the community and interact with co-workers and the general public in a professional manner.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Word and Excel, and a capacity to quickly learn new software programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to meet working conditions and knowledge/ability to observe appropriate safety practices.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn how to do basic emergency mechanical repairs.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Experience with content management and the development of workflow and process for a media organization.
- Demonstrated experience effectively managing complex projects, large budgets, setting and accomplishing goals while managing dynamic priorities.
- Experience in RF, fiber distribution and remote site management.
- Experience in encoding, playout, automation systems, production systems on both radio and television.
- SBE certification.
- Experience in Visio and/or AutoCad.
- Competent operation of 4-wheel drive vehicle and/or tracked vehicle.
- Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (NW Region Chief Engineer) to email@example.com or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219.
- Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
All application materials are due by:
Nov. 28, 2017, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.