Share this job:
Open Fill-In Positions:
Weekend Edition Host/Announcer
OPB is looking for a highly motivated public media professional to serve as an OPB’s Weekend Edition Host/Announcer, preparing hourly newscasts, promotion, weather, occasional traffic and ensuring program continuity for OPB’s radio network. This hourly, non-exempt position is a part-time, regular status position with benefits.
The Weekend Edition Host/Announcer for OPB’s radio network prepares hourly newscasts, promotion, weather and occasional traffic and ensures program continuity. In keeping with OPB’s strategies, this position edits Weekend Edition rundowns and locates opportunities to include OPB content. This position also monitors broadcasts during their shift and responds to concerns and problems associated with broadcast audio/content, keeps up to date with OPB’s initiatives in a multimedia multiplatform environment, and finds ways to involve listeners with the expanding OPB environment. This position has the opportunity to serve as a fill-in announcer, and assists with fundraising efforts related to radio membership drives.
Hours are 4:30a-Noon Saturdays and Sundays. Additional fill in shifts can range from 4 to 8 hours on both weekdays and weekends in any day/part. The Weekend Edition Host/Announcer works at least 20 hours a week. Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location using office, production and/or broadcast equipment.
- One year broadcast experience as announcer/board operator.
- Experience in broadcast Journalism, including making editorial decisions in newscast production.
- Demonstrated ability to handle newscasts and breaks within a program clock.
- Authentic and engaging on-air reading skills consistent with public broadcasting.
- Excellent writing and listening skills.
- Production experience.
- Able to make appropriate decisions under stress.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of disciplines (reporters, spot editors, associate news director and weekday magazine hosts).
- Ability to serve as occasional fill-in announcer/producer for identified shifts.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to service and an aptitude for public broadcasting and an enthusiasm for OPB.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to use digital audio recording and editing equipment. Demonstrated ability to edit audio for broadcast.
- Technology savvy. Familiarity with collaborative tools and wikis, social media tools and experience using content management systems to update internal and external websites.
- Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (Weekend Edition Host/Announcer) and where you first learned of this job opening to email@example.com or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219.
- Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
This position is open until filled.
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.
OPB values our listeners, viewers and readers and the unique blend of ideas and attitudes that they bring to Oregon and the Northwest. We know it is our responsibility to find those who will further our mission by giving voice to our community in all its diversity, and we are wholly committed to doing so.
OPB only accepts resumes for open positions.