News | Oregon

Driver In Deadly Bus Crash Banned From U.S. Roads

AP | Jan. 17, 2013 4:13 p.m. | Portland

Contributed By:

AP

The Canadian driver whose bus crashed on an icy Oregon highway last month, killing nine passengers, has been banned from operating a commercial vehicle in the United States.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent investigators to the scene of a December 2012 bus crash.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent investigators to the scene of a December 2012 bus crash.

Oregon State Police

The U.S. Department of Transportation took the action Thursday, saying Haeng Kyu Hwang was driving too fast for the conditions and ignored federal limits on the amount of time he could spend behind the wheel.

Police have not said what caused Oregon’s deadliest crash since 1971, and this is the first official investigation to conclude the driver was going too fast.

The agency also banned a second bus driver who works for the same tour company.

The order states the tour company was operating two motor coaches at the time. And witnesses said the second bus was also going too fast

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
Thanks to our Sponsors:
become a sponsor
Thanks to our Sponsors
become a sponsor