- A lone gunman entered Reynolds High School at approximately 8 a.m. with a rifle and began shooting. Witnesses say they heard gunshots near the school’s gym.
- Two people are dead. Police have identified both the victim and the shooter but won’t name them until they have notified next of kin.
- The shooter likely killed himself in a bathroom stall, according to police.
- Police said physical education instructor Todd Rispler was also wounded and treated at the scene.
- Students and faculty were transported to the Wood Village Fred Meyer by TriMet and school buses. Students were searched before being reunited with their parents. The process took hours.
- One student had a gun in his possession. He was arrested, but police determined he was not associated with the shooting.
- President Barack Obama was asked about the incident during an education Q&A with Tumblr founder David Karp: “The country has to do some soul searching about this. This is becoming the norm and we take it for granted in ways that as a parent are terrifying to me.”
- Counselors will provide mental health support services for students and parents today and tomorrow.
- A vigil will be held tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Greater Portland Baptist Church.
- Police say students will likely be able to pick up their belongings and vehicles from the high school tomorrow.
- Tomorrow was supposed to be the last day for classes at Reynolds High, but all classes have been canceled at this time.
- Seniors completed their classes last week and were not at the high school at the time of the shooting.
- Police will hold another press conference at 4 p.m. with the latest information.
Explore Nearby Adventures