Good morning, it’s Wednesday, Jan. 14. Here are this morning’s headlines:
- Burns will host the second annual Harney County Coyote Classic over the weekend. The contest to see who can kill the most coyotes has attracted the attention of animal rights groups.
- Starting today, crews will use an air cannon to shoo birds nesting on the Interstate 5 Bridge. The Oregon Department of Transportation said the birds’ droppings can damage the bridge and cause unhealthy or unsafe conditions.
- Former Portland Mayor Sam Adams has accepted a job with the World Resources Institute in Washington, D.C. Adams will be the director of its U.S. Climate Initiative.
- Adidas unveiled Portland Trail Blazer Damian Lillard’s first signature shoe, D Lillard 1. The new shoe will be available starting Feb. 6.
- A longtime Jackson County Sheriff’s Department canine, Darco, is leaving his post today after nine years on the job. The patrol dog is credited with tracking down 91 suspects.