Good morning, it’s Friday, Aug. 22. Here are this morning’s headlines:
- North-central Washington — which was hit hard by wildfires this summer — is experiencing heavy rain, causing flash floods and mudslides.
- Oregonians have yet to vote on legalizing recreational marijuana, but the Oregon Liquor Control Commission is already discussing new regulations.
- The Festival of Eugene is scheduled to start Friday afternoon. Event coordinators faced many challenges in putting the festival together, which included finding a venue and raising enough money to host it.
- The city of Bend joined a new social media site called NextDoor, which police and fire departments will use to alert community members of an emergency.
- Stink bugs have taken over the Willamette Valley and, if not controlled, could cause millions in damage to area crops.
- Filmmakers of “Batkid Begins” have raised enough money through crowdsourcing to complete the movie and submit it to film festivals.