Good morning, it’s Thursday, Oct. 23. Here are this morning’s headlines:
- Netflix announced that it will close its DVD customer service site in Hillsboro next year, laying off 188 people.
- Wednesday’s heavy rain will taper off Thursday, but expect intermittent showers and possibly some thunderstorms. A small landslide has already been reported near the Vista House, which briefly closed part of the Columbia River Highway.
- TriMet unveiled the first Type 5 MAX light rail vehicle. The new Orange Line is slated to launch in September 2015.
- The state will be asked to pitch in for federal forest restoration. The Oregon Department of Forestry is asking Gov. Kitzhaber to budget $6.5 million.
- La Pine is the latest city to approve a tax on the sale of recreational marijuana, should Oregon voters approve Measure 91.
- A Romanian princess who helped run a cockfighting enterprise in Oregon was sentenced to three years of probation.