The three basketball players involved in a rape investigation will no longer play for the University of Oregon, UO President Michael Gottfredson said Friday.
“It was very clear to us that they weren’t individuals we want representing our university,” Gottfredson said.
At the 11 am press conference in Eugene, Gottfredson confirmed that university officials had been aware of the March 8 incident, but had kept it quiet at the request of law enforcement officials.
He said he understood and empathized with the outrage on campus.
The three players all remained on the team during the NCAA tournament after the incident; two contributed significant playing time.
Athletic Director Rob Mullens and Vice President of Student Affairs Robin Holmes answered questions following Gottfredson’s statement. The trio stuck to a script in their responses, standing by the university’s actions following the report of the alleged sexual assault.
Next, Gottfredson said the university officials are reviewing student conduct code and will bring in an independent panel to review the college and its athletic department’s practices.
“Our students’ safety and security is our top priority,” Gottfredson said. “We have strong policies and protocols in place, and we are working to make them stronger still.”
Another press conference is scheduled for this afternoon, featuring head basketball coach Dana Altman.