From an international investigation into electronic waste to a study of the U.S. military’s environmental legacy in the Northwest, here is the best reporting from EarthFix in 2016.
The Circuit: Tracking America’s Electronic Waste
What really happens to our discarded televisions, phones and computers? EarthFix reporters follow an international undercover investigation tracking e-waste from the U.S. to unregulated scrapyards in Hong Kong.
Battle Ready: The Secret History Of The U.S. Military’s Environmental Legacy In The Northwest.
When America was drawn into World War II the Pacific Northwest answered the call with lumber, shipyards, an atomic weapon plant and B-17 bombers. Battle Ready explores the hidden history of the military, the Northwest and the environment.
For wildlife in Oregon, the best way to stay alive is to make sure someone wants to kill you. EarthFix reporter Tony Schick digs into the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife to learn if it is fulfilling its mission in a three-part series.
Stories From ‘Wildlife Neglected’:
- How Oregon Lost Track Of The Species It’s Supposed To Protect
- Lacking Support, Conservation Falters At Oregon Fish And Wildlife
- To Fund Conservation, Oregon Hopes To Succeed Where Past Efforts Failed
The 41-day armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge continued a longstanding lands battle in the American West. Just who should be charged with caring for America’s land?
Stories From The Occupation In Eastern Oregon:
- Before Oregon’s Armed Takeover, A Long-Brewing Dispute Over Rangeland Health
- Controversial Federal Grazing Fees Not A Great Deal For Anyone
- Backlog Grows For Rangelands Awaiting Environmental Health Checkup
Portland’s Toxic Air Problem
Portland’s air is dirtier than we thought. A study conducted by researchers at the U.S. Forest Service revealed dangerously high levels of heavy metals in Portland, sparking an investigation into the sources and causing regulators and officials to question why the pollution was left unchecked for so long.
Stories From Portland’s Toxic Air Problem:
- Why Portland Heavy Metals Pollution Went Undetected For So Long
- Portlanders Demand Action On Heavy Metal Air Pollution
- Q&A: What We Know About Portland’s Toxic Air Emissions
More From EarthFix In 2016
Watch: Oregon’s War On Tui Chubs