Local | The Boy Scouts Files

Boy Scouts Executive Questioned In Abuse Trial

OPB | March 30, 2010 12:53 p.m. | Updated: Oct. 17, 2012 6:01 a.m. | Portland, OR

Contributed By:


By Amelia Templeton

Part of Series:

Attorneys questioned an executive of the Boy Scouts of America in a Multnomah county courtroom yesterday. They asked him why the Boy Scouts kept secret their records of sexually abusive scout leaders.

The questions came in a lawsuit brought by a man molested more than 20 years ago as a child scout.
 
The central question is whether the leadership of the Boy Scouts of America knew there was pattern of abuse and didn’t do enough about it.

Nate Marshall is a representative of the Boy Scouts of America. On the stand he said that in the past, scout leaders who had molested boys were usually kicked out. But some were put on probation and continued to abuse boys.

Attorney Paul Mones argued that the Boy Scout organization did not tell parents about abusive scout leaders. He asked Marshall three times if child abuse had been a problem within the scouts.

Marshall did not answer directly. He did say that the Boy Scouts of America believe abuse is serious.

older
« Expert Witness Says Boy Scouts Kept Detailed Records On Child Abusers

newer
Boy Scouts Begin Defense In Abuse Lawsuit  »

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
Thanks to our Sponsors:
become a sponsor
Thanks to our Sponsors
become a sponsor