The Boy Scouts of America is reacting to the release Thursday of the names of more than 1,200 people accused of child sexual abuse within the organization.
Media organizations, including Oregon Public Broadcasting, filed suit to get the documents released. They outline abuse allegations in the Scouts between 1965 and 1985.
In most cases, people accused of sexual abuse were forced out of the organization. But in other cases, people were repeatedly accused of abusing children over a period of years -- even after Boy Scout leaders knew there was a problem.
Wayne Perry is the national president of the Boy Scouts. He told NPR that in certain cases, the organization's response to allegations of abuse was insufficient, inappropriate or wrong.
"To the extent that we fell short of where we should have been protecting every kid, we're profoundly sorry," he said.
Earlier this month, the organization outlined its abuse prevention plans. For example, volunteers must have a criminal background check, complete youth protection training and they have to report any instance of even suspected abuse.