Oregon | The Boy Scouts Files

New Sex Abuse Case Filed Against Boy Scouts Of America

OPB | Feb. 15, 2011 7:49 a.m. | Updated: Oct. 17, 2012 6:01 a.m. | Portland, OR

Contributed By:

Part of Series:

Two Portland attorneys have filed a new $5 million case against the Boy Scouts of America and its Oregon leaders.

The suit alleges years of sexual abuse by a scoutmaster in Multnomah County. The case holds some similarities to claims settled last year.

Attorneys Kelly Clark and Paul Mones say their client was abused over seven years, beginning when the boy was six. 

Clark says scoutmaster James Hogan was later convicted of on separate sex abuse charges.

Clark says his client previously made a claim about the abuse to the Mormon Church, due to the close relationship between the church and the Scouts’ organizations.

But Clark says that claim was resolved.

Kelly Clark “This is the fourth case in a row we’ve filed in the past few weeks. It’s my sense there are an awful lot of people out there starting to look at what happened to them and speak out about it.”

The Boy Scouts of America released a statement neither confirming nor denying the charges, but saying it has developed protective policies and background checks across the organization.

older
« Supreme Court Hears Arguments In Boy Scouts Case

newer
Portland Firm Files Seventh Suit Against Boy Scouts Of America »

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
Thanks to our Sponsors:
become a sponsor
Thanks to our Sponsors
become a sponsor