This American elm at 1111 SW 10th Ave. was named Portland's first historic tree in 1973. It came to the city by a ship that traveled around South America. It was planted by the Martin Burrell family in front of their house in 1870, and it has survived construction of new buildings and the laying of pavement around it.
This massive Japanese maple is probably about as old as the 1907 house that sits in its shade at 2367 NW Kearney St.
This Japanese cedar at 6232 NE Stanton St. is a rare sight in Portland. The Japanese gather the branches of these cedars when they start a new batch of sake; when they turn brown the sake is ready to drink.
This is probably the only single-needle pine in the city of Portland; it was planted from a seed collected in Nevada by author Lambert Florin at 5227 SE Tolman St. Its cones produce edible, nut-like seeds.
This yellow poplar at 1431 NE Weidler St. was planted by George Nicolai in the 1890s in front of what was then his house. Now, the tree towers over a commercial district.
The Port Orford cedar in front of Portland City Hall was one of a pair until a wind storm blew down its companion. Reynolds said the city wanted to cut this one down for safety reasons, but a local arborist fought to keep it alive.
Portland's largest coast redwood is in the process of wrapping itself around the power line at 860 SW Vista Ave.
This European beech was planted around 1890 and saved by architects, who designed Portland State University's Millar Library so it forms a semicircle around it.
This grand fir towers over the city of Portland. You can see it from the Fremont Bridge ramp, from Portland State University and from the middle of downtown. It's location on a steep hillside covered in blackberries makes it hard to reach, however. Though grand firs are native to Portland, few remain on city streets today.
I couldn't help including this little gem – decorated for Valentine's Day in a crosswalk on Naito Parkway. It is the only tree in the world's smallest park.