Over the last decade, Oregon has become one of the best-known skateboarding destinations in the world, due primarily to the proliferation of public and private skateboard parks throughout the state. The first and most legendary is the Burnside skate park in Portland, a DIY monument to skating. Meet some of the modern-day pioneers who turned Oregon into a skateboarding mecca.
First Broadcast: 2006
Producer: Ed Jahn
Skaters for Portland Skate Parks
- There’s a LOT going on for skaters in Portland these days, including the new Pier Point skatepark!
- Online: www.pdxskaters.org/
- Read a brief history of the Burnside “Do it yourself” skatepark.
- Online: www.burnsideproject.blogspot.com
Skaters for Public Skateparks
- Address: This link is all about public skateparks. Like their website says: “If your city doesn’t have a skatepark, then your city IS a skatepark.”
- Online: www.skatersforpublicskateparks.org