||The Oregon Public Broadcasting video program,
The Oregon Story: Small Towns, contributes to understanding
the land we know as Oregon today and the history of our involvement
with it. It also raises important issues about the role of
development in Oregon. Suggestions (1) provided in this guide
demonstrate ways to support and supplement the exploration
of this history in the context of Oregon Department of Education
Content Standards and Benchmarks. Suggestions include activities,
explorations, field excursions, and further adventures in
reading and viewing.
The Oregon Story: Small Towns has five major objectives, which are to promote:
- Understanding about how small towns have contributed to Oregon's history and development;
- Awareness about the traditions and way of life of families who live in small towns;
- A perspective about change that is occurring in small towns in Oregon;
- Critical thinking about the care, use, and management of Oregon's natural resources;
- Incentive to celebrate the history, celebrate the present, and appreciate the possibilities of the future of Oregon.
1 Many of the suggestions support Oregon
Department of Education CIM and CAM benchmarks.
the online teaching guide in PDF format to enhance your students'
classroom viewing experience.