The daily commute can be a pretty harrowing experience, so it’s not surprising that many people choose to connect a good pair of earbuds or headphones to their iPhones, MP3 players —and yes there are still Walkmen out there — and tune out on their way to their destinations.
So what are all these people listening to? State of Wonder headed out to one of the busiest sections of downtown Portland’s transit mall and asked people very simply: What are you listening to?
And while we obviously didn’t get the chance to talk to everyone, we got a good sampling of Portland’s musical commuting choices.
What Are You Listening To Playlist
Downtown Portland, October 24, 2013
- Patrick Watson - Fireweed (Wooden Arms)
- All American Rejects - Dirty Little Secrets (Move Along)
- A$SP Rocky (Feat. French Montana) - Work Remix - (Single)
- Calvin Harris - The Rain (Ready For the Weekend)
- Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Bangerz)
- 9th Wonder (feat. Thee Tom Hardy) - I’m Grinnin’ (Secret of thee Green Garden)
- The Cure - A Forest (Seventeen Seconds)
- The Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa (Ready to Die)
- Girls Generation - I Gotta Boy ( I Gotta Boy)
- Trey Songz - Love Faces (Passion, Pain and Pleasure)
- Justin Beiber - Heartbreaker (Single)
We’ll be conducting this experiment again in a different part of the city. We’ll gather more responses and post more video as an opportunity to talk about Portland’s vibrant music scene.
You can hear the discussion on State of Wonder, airing Saturdays at noon on OPB Radio.