Today we bring you a rebroadcast of a show recorded last year in Bend at the Deschutes Brewery. We brought together academics, counselors, veterans and community to discuss the experience of coming home from war, and how it has changed over time. We discussed the history of war and the veteran experience, starting with the Civil War and going all the way up to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And we asked what war and homecoming for veterans might look like in the future, as the military downsizes and relies more and more heavily on drones and other technology for battle.
- Christopher McKnight Nichols: Assistant professor of History and director of the Citizenship and Crisis Initiative at Oregon State University
- Amy Ford: Director of the OSU-Cascades Counseling Clinic
- Richard Fleming: Vietnam war veteran
- Austin Smith: Marine veteran, sniper
- Felicia Ridings: U.S. Navy veteran
- Trever Ray: Marine veteran and Army reservist
NOTE: This show was recorded in front of an audience, Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at the Deschutes Brewery Mountain Room in Bend, near the Old Mill District.