RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
- Send me an email if there is activity in this thread.
Our Online Community
Last week, I went to an "unconference" known as PubMedia Camp hosted by OPB. It was a diverse gathering of people with a wide variety of media-related interests: reporters, bloggers, marketing people and techies of all stripes. After introducing ourselves and munching on the spread of free grub, we set our agendas for break out discussions (true to the unconference model). I attended a session on building online communities and heard a lot of feedback about Think Out Loud's web presence.
People had positive things to say about the tone of discussions on our site. They also offered some constructive suggestions about things we could do to improve our interaction with our existing online community and engage more people in order to grow that community. Here are just a few of the ideas that came my way:
- Give people an option to "opt in" to an email alert list when they sign up to comment on the blog so we can let them know about upcoming events and special shows.
- Create a way to automatically notify people when someone responds directly to their comments.
- Have more meetups so people can talk to each other face-to-face as well as online
- Integrate Twitter and Facebook feeds into our site so people could read them along with the blog.
What would you like to add to this list? How would you like to see the Think Out Loud online community grow?
Comments are now closed.