RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
- Send me an email if there is activity in this thread.
Your Two Cents on $800 Million
How to plug that potential $800 million hole in Oregon's budget is one tough question. When lawmakers will be making those decisions is also not easy to pin down. I was surprised to hear
Representative Tina Kotek say on the show today that she's looking toward another fiscal forecast in May. We're talking about the budget for FY 07-09 - that ends June 30! But later Kotek said legislators will likely make some decisions by early March.
Early March! That's pretty darn soon! So if you're interested in telling the legislators what to save or slash, you can let them know now. As Kotek mentioned on the show, the Joint Ways and Means Committee is holding special hearings in Salem on this next week. Here's the schedule:
- Tuesday, Feb 10. Focus on human services.
- Wednesday, Feb 11. Focus on education.
- Thursday, Feb 12. Focus on public safety, agriculture, fish and wildlife, and everything else.
All the hearings run 4:30 to 6:30 PM with "ability for extending time as needed." I guess that means they really want to hear from people - one legislative aide told me he's "never seen that before!" Testimony will be limited to three minute per person. All hearings will be in the Capitol building, room TBA. Check the legislature committee agendas website for updates.