SHARE THIS SHOW:
OTHER SEGMENTS THIS HOUR:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
The Circus Has Come to Town
Animals doing stunts, clowns with red foam noses, and crafty balloon creatures are few and far between in Portland's ever-evolving circus scene. You'll often find storytellers and acrobats, lasso weilding cowboy clowns and highliy skilled athletes and dancers. This is not your average big top.
Acts from Portland's diverse array of circus troupes draw inspiration from street performances, theater, nature, politics or by their fellow performers. And with no shortage of classes to take, performances to watch or groups to join, Portland's circus community is thriving.
We'll talk with longtime circus performers Noah Mickens and David Lichtenstein (also known as Leapin' Louie), as well as Jenn Cohen, Exeuctive Director and artist at the Circus Project, about the enthusiasm and creativity in the circus community here in Portland.
Are you involved in the circus community in Portland? Do you seek out circus performances? What is your favorite circus memory?
- Noah Mickens: Ringmaster at Wanderlust Circus
- David Lichtenstein: Longtime world-traveling circus performer
- Jenn Cohen: Executive Director and artist at the Circus Project
If you are interested in checking out the Portland circus scene, here are a few upcoming events:
- A Circus Carol with live music by 3 Leg Torso — December 7th and 8th at the Alberta Rose Theater.
- White Album Christmas — December 21st and 22nd at the Alberta Rose Theater.
- The Circus Project Winter Soiree — December 5th at theSlate.