SHARE THIS SHOW:
OTHER SEGMENTS THIS HOUR:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Third Parties: Libertarian Party
Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson is campaigning hard. Unlike many minor party candidates, he's had national interviews and he's produced some political TV ads. He visited Oregon recently and met with the editorial boards of the Oregonian and Willamette Week and has endorsed the state's marijuana initiative.
The Libertarian Party of Oregon (LPO) is one of the oldest in the nation and was established in 1972. That's according to the LPO's secretary, Bruce Knight. We'll talk to him and Gary Johnson on Monday about the values and goals of this long-time minor party. Libertarian issues include:
- Abolishing the war on drugs
- Addressing the federal deficit and national debt
- Withdrawing troops from foreign soils
Would you consider registering as a member of the Libertarian Party of Oregon or voting for a candidate on the Libertarian ticket? Which of their issues resonate with you? Which don't? What is the appropriate role for minor parties in our system of government?
- Gary Johnson: Libertarian presidential candidate
- Bruce Knight: Secretary of the Libertarian Party of Oregon
Photo credit: Libertarian Party