RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
I am from Hawaii originally and even as a teenager I understood the problem and encouraged recycling, but Hawaii is FAR behind the curve in recycling. The other problem is the migration of mainlanders to Hawaii without restriction. One cannot address the problem of the amount of waste produced in Hawaii without addressing the problem of people moving from the mainland to Hawaii. Until that flow is stemmed, the amount of waste will continue to grow. So the real long term resolution must be a combination:
- Slow down migration of mainlanders to Hawaii
- Increase recycling, composting and reusing in Hawaii
- Education of adults, most of the kids get it
- Financial penalties for those who exceed limits
- Financial rewards for those who reduce trash
- Incinerator for proper materials
- Since the vast majority of the goods used in Hawaii is imported, there must be some reciprocity to take back the waste generated by the product imported, from where it was imported
- Change the attitudes of many in Hawaii to one of more sustainability
It is a major problem and must be addressed at some point, on a major scale.
posted 2 years, 9 months ago
view in context