RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
(1) -- Anti-foreigner sentiment always skyrockets in economic hard times. In some countries, it skyrockets after natural disasters, as well.
(2) -- Arizona shootings and crimes come from drug runners, not from illegals already in the country. The law will not address crime.
(3) -- China is not a shining example of the kind of country or society we Americans should aspire to become.
(4) -- Being stopped for being white in China, or as I was, for being white in Japan, starts to be no fun after a while. Many legitimate American citiziens will be targeted by the Arizona law. They will suffer harassment and discrimination.
(5) -- Laws change. Laws are not always right. We don't need to toughen enforcement of dumb laws.
(6) -- Illegals pay taxes, but do not receive social security.
(7) -- Illegals are here because businesses want them, and the government knows that our food prices would skyrocket if we clamped down hard. They form a convenient low-paid labor pool that can be abused if need be for the better-off of us to reap the benefits. Want to toughen up? Go after the businesses, not the illegals.
posted 2 years, 11 months ago
view in context