RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
@Tom D Ford
I'm not being naive about women. Palin is nutters as you suggest. It's hard to imagine Palin having a platform in 1970; we wouldn't have understood how somebody so ill equipped for leadership would have been given so much attention.
Over the past last 2,000 years mostly men have run things. Therefore most of the problems were caused by men. Sure there have been women evil doers, but not to the extent that men have mucked things up. Hitler or Palin? Pol Pot or Thatcher? Bush Jr. or Wicked Witch of the West?
Of course there will be women who are poor and ineffective leaders but I generally think women are more likely to find solutions that don't require fists and bombs than men.
Men in the U.S. are concerned about appearing strong and being on the right team. They will say stupidly say "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" when one has no access to boots.
A few rich and privileged men largely control everything. These rich men get the rest of us to fight for scraps amongst ourselves. I'm disappointed that white men and women don't call out those who claim to be on their side. I don't hear whites complain about their leaders who have failed them. Bush Jr. and Reagan are lauded for their values and actions but why aren't we holding them accountable for:
- high unemployment
- jobs and manufacturing outsourced overseas
- fewer people doing more work for declining wages
- gutted social safety nets
- gutted financial regulations
- environmental pollution caused by natural gas fracking, oil drilling, and mountain top removal
- mega farms providing poisoned/poisoning food
- clean drinking water rapidly vanishing
- denuded and destroyed wilderness
We point fingers at corporations or governments instead of the people who actually harm us with their self-serving agendas. Check out yesterday's Fresh Air episode:
Can we remove radical ideologues from power whether they be men or women? A middle path eschews extreme behavior which leads to failure in general.
posted 2 years, 9 months ago
view in context