Digital Photo Editor
OPB is looking for a Digital Photo Editor to join our team of digital-first storytellers. The Digital Photo Editor oversees the production and acquisition of photographs for use across OPB’s digital and social distribution platforms. Still photography has become an increasingly important component of OPB’s journalism and with the upcoming launch of a new website we need an experienced photojournalist to focus exclusively on improving our still photography. This is a regular status, benefit eligible, exempt, full-time position.
As part of the OPB digital editorial team the Digital Photo Editor sets a standard of excellence for still photography across OPB’s digital and social distribution channels. The Digital Photo Editor will have three key areas of responsibility:
- Train and coach OPB reporters and producers on incorporating photojournalism best practices into newsgathering and story field production.
- Manage the daily production, acquisition and placement of photos on OPB’s new website and social distribution channels.
- Work with the OPB digital team to identify and shoot high-impact enterprise projects created for a digital audience.
Work is done in an office and may occur in the field. Fieldwork may include travel across the region.
- Five years photojournalism experience working for a digital news website or print journalism publication.
- Experience in a newsroom or similar environment.
- Experience determining photo selection for various digital platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to provide editorial direction and leadership.
- Possess the highest ethical standards in photojournalism and newsgathering.
- Share OPB's commitment to covering all the communities in our coverage areas reflecting a diverse range of people and perspectives in our content.
- Ability to enterprise and photograph stories independently.
- A strong technical understanding of cameras and post-production workflows including metadata tagging, the Adobe Creative Suite and narrative sequencing.
- Current driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Enthusiasm for and understanding of the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing media environment.
- Advanced knowledge of lighting techniques and lighting equipment.
- Experience with creating content for digital and social media platforms.
- Strong writing skills.
- Coaching, training, or supervisory experience in a newsroom or similar environment.
Click HERE to apply.
All application materials are due by:
June 5, 2020, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.