Maintenance Engineer, Central Region
OPB is looking for an individual passionate about technology to join our Bend based team supporting OPB’s RF distribution technology at our remote sites in the Central and Eastern parts of Oregon. This non-exempt regular status represented position is full-time and includes benefits.
The Maintenance Engineer for the Central and Eastern regions of OPB assists the Bend-based Chief Engineer in the design, installation, emergency repair, preventive maintenance and technical operation of the various components of the broadcast systems. This includes television transmission facilities, FM radio transmission facilities, and sites containing radio and television translators, microwave relays, fiber optic distribution systems, two-way radio systems, and IP networks.
The work is primarily based out of the Bend site and works throughout the Central and Eastern regions, but may require work in other OPB regions. Much of the work will be at transmission facilities and involves varying shifts to respond to technical emergencies including evenings, weekends and holidays with possible callbacks and periods of being on-call for 24 hours a day. Travel and work at remote sites will require the operation of (and possibly the need to perform, in the field, basic emergency mechanical repairs to) 4-wheel drive vehicles and possibly tracked snow vehicles. The work will require the use of hand tools, power tools, and electronic test equipment, and may involve working alone. Exposure to high voltages and RF non-ionizing radiation is possible at most sites. The work may require challenging physical activity, including tower climbing (up to 300 feet in height), lifting and or moving up to 75 pounds, working in inclement weather, and/or walking or hiking around 10 miles.
- Knowledge of technical design, construction, maintenance, and operation of broadcast systems and tools used therein.
- Working knowledge of basic RF and electronic theory as it applies to broadcast systems, including radio and television translators, transmitters, and microwave systems.
- Experience with broadcast and IP-based television and radio signal distribution systems.
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of computer-based control systems, office software such as Word and Excel, and basic networking.
- Experience configuring and maintaining large IP networks, including Layer 3 routing and VLAN management.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of position.
- Ability to interact with the public and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage projects effectively and efficiently.
- Basic mechanical skills (i.e.: experience assembling antennae structures).
- Basic electronic skills including operating a DMM, soldering, component level troubleshooting, and operating test equipment.
- Ability to safely and correctly use mechanical tools.
- Competent operation, maintenance, and emergency field repair of 4-wheel drive vehicles and the ability to work at remote sites in all weather conditions.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attitudes):
- Degree in electronics, mechanical or electrical engineering, computer science, telecommunications or broadcast engineering.
- Experience with Visio or CAD for creating documentation.
- Tower climbing experience and certification.
- SBE Certification.
Click HERE to apply.
Position is open until filled. Screening begins May 15, 2019.
This position is open until filled.
If your organization would like to be added to our contact list for future job openings so you can refer qualified applicants, please email us with your contact information at email@example.com.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Oregon OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice. Although people viewing this section of opb.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.