The fate of Astoria’s old Flavel House is out of the Flavel family’s hands after being abandoned and boarded up for years.
The Daily Astorian reports that owner Mary Louise Flavel and the Astoria City Council reached an agreement to finally sell the crumbling family home, which has been vacant for almost 25 years.
Flavel conservator Caroline Evans, who was appointed to the properties in July, will sell the residence and other family properties. Evans will pay the city a total of $40,000 following the sale of the three properties, which is a steal after Flavel racked up more than $1 million in fines for the abandoned buildings. The city said it will forgo collecting Flavel’s owed fees.
After the house is sold, Flavel, 89, will have one year to either sell her downtown Astoria commercial building or bring it into compliance with city code.
The Flavel House was completed in 1901 by George Flavel. It was later inherited by his son, Harry M. Flavel. He lived there with his wife Florence and their children, Harry S. and Mary Louise. The younger Harry was known for his angry and erratic behavior. Harry earned the nickname “Hatchet Harry” when he was 20, after he chopped up the house’s bannister with a hatchet while his mother was locked in her bedroom.
In 1983, Harry got into a scuffle with a driver when he was walking his dog, which ended in him stabbing the man. After a number of appeals, Harry was on the run for failing to appear in court. When he died in 2010, black mourning bunting mysteriously appeared draped on the balcony of the family’s old home.
The family also built the Flavel Mansion in 1885, which has since been turned into the Flavel House Museum and is run by the Clatsop County Historical Society.