Internet radio host Pete Santilli, who played a substantial role in the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation, will remain behind bars while awaiting trial.
Last month, U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown ruled Santilli could be released while he awaited trial for the Oregon occupation.
But he was held so Nevada prosecutors could try and keep him behind bars for charges related to a 2014 standoff at the ranch of Cliven Bundy.
Federal court Judge Paul Papak determined Friday those Nevada prosecutors met their burden and showed substantial evidence that Santilli engaged in threatening conduct and assaulted federal agents during the Nevada standoff.
"We're disappointed but not surprised. The Nevada charges are more serious," said Santilli's defense attorney, Tom Coan.
Coan has asked that his client remain in Oregon while the two cases move forward, rather than be remanded to Nevada. The Portland-based attorney said it would allow him easier access to his client.
Papak granted the stay until Judge Brown can rule if Santilli should stay in Oregon detention.