OPB today announced details of its participation at Wordstock: Portland’s Book Festival presented by Literary Arts. The one-day festival will take place Saturday, November 7 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Portland Art Museum.
OPB will host a stage in the Fields Ballroom at the museum, which will feature author interviews and conversations moderated by OPB personalities from OPB News, Think Out Loud, State of Wonder, Oregon Art Beat and opbmusic. In addition to author conversations, OPB will present “OPB Mix,” a two-hour variety show of books and music hosted by OPB’s Weekend Edition’s John Sepulvado.
Additionally, OPB’s Think Out Loud host Dave Miller will interview author John Irving at the First Congregational United Church of Christ at 5 p.m. that day.
Here is a schedule of OPB-led events at Wordstock:
OPB Stage at the Fields Ballroom:
- 10 a.m.: Geoff Norcross interviews Simon Winchester.
- 11 a.m.: Dave Miller talks to Wendell Pierce.
- 12 p.m.: State of Wonder airs LIVE featuring Ursula K. Le Guin, Patterson Hood, Willy Vlautin, Patrick deWitt and Michael Hurley.
- 1 p.m.: Oregon Art Beat features Brian Doyle, Cat Winters, Lauren Redniss and Colin Meloy.
- 2 p.m.: Think Out Loud’s Dave Miller talks about food and flavor and cookbooks with author Mark Schatzker and a group of local chefs.
- 3 p.m.: OPB Mix features Laura Gibson, David Banis and Hunter Shobe, Alicia Jo Rabins, Marie Mutsuki Mockett and Renée Watson with a host of OPB personalities.
- 5 p.m.: State of Wonder features Chelsea Cain, Monica Drake, Suzy Vitello, Lidia Yuknavitch, Carson Ellis, Colin Meloy and Maile Meloy.
- 2 p.m.: A conversation with Kathleen Alcott, Mary Gaitskill and Claire Vaye Watkins, moderated by OPB’s Allison Frost.
First Congregational United Church of Christ:
- 5 p.m.: OPB’s Think Out Loud host Dave Miller interviews John Irving.
OPB will also host a pop-up stage during the event located in the Print Gallery at the museum. The pop-up stage will feature short and intimate conversations with authors, and will also celebrate Beverly Cleary’s upcoming 100th birthday. Attendees will have the opportunity to sign a large birthday banner for the beloved author.
Many of the authors featured at Wordstock have appeared on OPB original programs such as State of Wonder, Think Out Loud and Oregon Art Beat and online via OPB News. You can find a compilation of past author interviews, features, images, biographies and more online at opb.org/greetingsnw.
Tickets to Wordstock can be purchased by visiting http://portlandartmuseum.org/wordstock/. Follow along with OPB at Wordstock on social media using #WordstockPDX.