OPB has received 13 Emmy Awards from the Northwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, (NATAS).
The annual competition recognizes outstanding achievements in television and allied media. It is presented for excellence in programming and individual craft achievement in television and media arts.
Each of OPB’s three original television series received a variety of awards—Oregon Field Guide, Oregon Art Beat and Oregon Experience—along with OPB staff working on digital/social media, news, audio, and reporters for EarthFix, a public media partnership of OPB and Northwest public media organizations and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
OPB was also named a winner of a citation for “Community Service” for its 2016 celebration of Oregon author Beverly Cleary’s 100th birthday. OPB’s efforts included a television special featuring a rare interview with the author herself, an accompanying multimedia web presentation, an extensive regional and national outreach campaign and community celebrations in partnership with the Oregon State Library at more than 130 libraries in Oregon and southern Washington.
OPB’s 2017 Emmy wins include:
Oregon Art Beat
- Citation for Outstanding Community Service-Medium Market: Discovering Beverly Cleary (Steve Bass, Dave Davis, Cheryl Ikemiya, Morgan Holm, Jessica Martin, Katrina Sarson, Paul Loofburrow, Lauren Elkanich, Jennifer McCormick, Jan Boyd)
- Historic/Cultural - Program/Special: Discovering Beverly Cleary (Katrina Sarson, Producer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; Tom Shrider, Senior Videographer/Editor; Greg Bond, Senior Videographer/Editor; Jessica Martin, Executive Producer, Oregon Art Beat; David Davis, Vice President of TV Production)
Oregon Field Guide
- Environmental - Feature/Segment: Who’s Watching Oregon’s Wildlife (Anthony Schick, Reporter/Producer; Ed Jahn, Producer/ Director; Nick Fisher, Camera/Editor; Todd Sonflieth, Photographer/Editor)
- Environmental - Program/Special: Oregon Field Guide (Steve Amen, Executive Producer; Ed Jahn, Reporter/Producer; Jule Gilfillan, Reporter/Producer; Danika Sandoz, Producer/Editor; Nick Fisher, Camera/Editor; Todd Sonflieth, Camera/Editor; Michael Bendixen, Videographer/Editor)
- Informational/Instructional - Program/Special: Columbia River Bar Pilots (Ed Jahn, Producer/Director, Michael Bendixen, Videographer/Editor)
- Reporter – Programming: Wenaha River Packrafting (Ed Jahn)
- Writer – Program: Jes Burns, Writer, Craft Composite (Jes Burns)
- Informational/Instructional - Feature/Segment: The Waste That Remains From Arming Nuclear Weapons (MacGregor Campbell, producer/reporter/animator; Robert McClure, Reporter)
- Public/Current/Community Affairs - Program/Special: Darcelle XV (Kami Horton, Writer/Producer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; Greg Bond, Senior Videographer; William Ward, Audio Technician)
- Documentary – Historical: Vanport (Nadine Jelsing, Producer/Writer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; William Ward, Audio Technician)
- Director: Darcelle XV (Kami Horton)
- Musical Composition/Arrangement: Oregon Experience -’JazzTown:’ Portland’s Golden Jazz Age (Darrell Grant; Darrell Grant Music)
- Audio: opbmusic Stagepass: case/lang/veirs (Steven Vaughn Kray)