OPB has received seven Emmy Awards from the Northwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, (NATAS).
Each of its three original television series was recognized—Oregon Field Guide, Oregon Art Beat and Oregon Experience—along with OPB staff for EarthFix, a public media partnership of OPB, Idaho Public Television, KCTS9 Seattle, KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio, Northwest Public Radio and Television, Jefferson Public Radio, KLCC and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
Included in the honors is the award for “Community Service” for the year-long OPB series “Unprepared,” which culminated in an Oregon Field Guide documentary that probed into the state of Oregon’s preparedness for a 9.0 Cascadia earthquake when it comes to bridges, schools, hospitals, building codes and energy infrastructure.
OPB’s 2016 Emmy Awards include:
- Community Service: Unprepared (OPB/Steve Bass, President/CEO)
- Oregon Field Guide: Environmental - Program/Special: Oregon Field Guide (Steve Amen, Executive Producer/Host; Vince Patton, Producer/Reporter; Ed Jahn, Producer/Director; Jule Gilfillan, Writer-Producer; Michael Bendixen, Videographer/Editor; Danika Sandoz, Producer/Editor; Todd Sonflieth, Photographer/Editor)
- Oregon Art Beat: Human Interest - Feature/Segment: Jock Bradley (Katrina Sarson, Producer; Greg Bond, Senior Videographer/Editor; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Co-Producer)
- Oregon Art Beat: Arts/Entertainment - Feature/Segment: Painter John Simpkins (Jule Gilfillan, Writer/Producer) Oregon Experience: Documentary – Cultural: Portland Civil Rights: Lift Ev’ry Voice (Nadine Jelsing, Producer; Bruce Barrow, Editor; Tom Shrider, Senior Videographer; William Ward, Audio Technician)
- EarthFix: Environmental – Feature/Segment: Perfect Invaders (Katie Campbell, KCTS, Photographer/Editor; Jes Burns, OPB/EarthFix, Producer/Writer)
- EarthFix: Documentary – Topical: Wildlife Detectives: The Poaching of Puget Sound (Katie Campbell, KCTS, Producer/Writer; Michael Werner, KCTS, Photographer/Editor; David Steves, OPB, EarthFix Editor in Chief; Carlos Espinoza, KCTS, Senior Vice President, Content and Marketing; MacGregor Campbell, OPB, Animator)
Additionally, OPB was the presenting station for two programs that were awarded Emmys:
- All-Star Orchestra “Visions of New York”: Special Event Coverage (Other Than News or Sports) (OPB and All-Star Orchestra; Gerard Schwarz, Music Director/Conductor; Habib Azar, Video Director; Dmitriy Lipay, Audio Recording Producer/Director; Andrew Mayatskiy, Video Editor; Paul Schwendener, Executive Director)
- Pilchuck, A Dance with Fire: Documentary—Historical (Fidget Films/OPB; John Forsen, Producer/Director; Gary Gibson, Producer/Writer; Tracy Dethlefs, Editor; Leslie Jackson Chihuly, Executive Producer) The annual Emmy awards recognize outstanding achievements in television and allied media. They are presented for excellence in programming and individual craft achievement in television and media arts.
Emmy Award winners were announced at the Northwest Regional Emmy Awards ceremony on June 4 at the Hilton Seattle Airport and Conference Center.