But there are plenty of questions about whether jobs actually follow the retraining and about how well-calibrated job training and demand actually are. Some people have also questioned whether retraining programs focus too much on short-term employment and not enough on long-terms careers.
Have you taken a job retraining program? Did it lead to a job? When does retraining work — and when doesn’t it?
This is part of OPB’s Getting Back to Work series. You can find news pieces from the series as well as more coverage of the economy here.
- Mike McLeren: Laid off from Freightliner in 2009, currently studying water and environmental technology at Clackamas Community College
- Alice Todd: Laid off from Weyerhaeuser Foster Veneer, currently studying mechatronics at Linn-Benton Community College
- Agnes Balassa: Executive director of the Oregon Workforce Partnership
- Stefanie Siebold: Workforce Development Manager for PCC
- Mark Haas: Owner of Bridgetown Bakery