If a driver has a 30 mile commute, and it takes 30 minutes to get from home to work, and it takes an hour to get from work to home, then what was the average speed for the trip?
Can you solve this math puzzle? On this program we’ll get the solution from a “mathemagician.” And we’ll explore how we can better teach math to kids. Is there still a gender gap in math? Why do so many of us dislike math? Why is it so important?
- Sarah Schuhl, math instructional coach at Centennial High School in Portland.
- Dawson Green is a 2004 graduate of Cleveland High School and a part time math tutor to high school students.
- Janet S. Hyde is professor of Psychology and Women’s Studies at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Rebecca Goldin is associate professor of mathematics at George Mason University and director of research at STATS (Statistical Assessment Service).
- Arthur Benjamin is professor of mathematics at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, California.