Several roads around the Portland region were closed or even washed out by fast moving water Tuesday.
A downed tree and landslide closed Highway 30 at the west end of Bridge Avenue at the St. Johns Bridge in northwest Portland in both directions early Tuesday evening, according to the Oregon Department of Transportation. The landslide also disrupted TriMet service for bus line 16 along Highway 30 between Kittridge and the St. Johns Bridge.
Highways throughout southwest Washington remain open.
Monday night, a rockslide outside of White Salmon, Washington, temporarily closed one lane of Highway 14.
"Our maintenance crews are out clearing the drains and culverts as much as they can," said Bart Treece, with the southwest region of the Washington Department of Transportation.
"We just can't clean some of these ditches on some of the rural routes fast enough," he said.
In Oregon, a sinkhole washed out Kane Street near Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham. TriMet's MAX Blue Line service in Gresham remained disrupted Monday evening as rush hour began due to the sinkhole. The service also had to close portions of the Millikan Way Park and Ride due to standing water.
Three Rivers Highway was also closed by a sinkhole in on the boarder of Polk and Yamhill Counties.
The Oregon Department of Transportation reported that Oregon Highway 229 in Lincoln County was closed because of high water.
“We have these large rain events from time to time,” said Lou Torres, a spokesman with the ODOT.
But he said this doesn’t compare to February 1996, when between 6 and 11 inches of rain fell around northwest Oregon over the course of four days.
“We’ve had other big rain events over the last 20, 25 years,” Torres said. “This one is certainly a significant one. We’re going to be cleaning up after this one for awhile.”
Torres said keeping water of the roadways under these circumstances is a challenge.
Road closures as of 12:25 p.m. Wednesday
- NW Germantown Road from Skyline to Bridge
- NE Schulyer at 84th
- NE 114th and Halsey
- SW 16th from SW Arnold Rd to SW Palatine
- SW Hamilton at SW 39th
- SW Montgomery from SW Vista to SW 14th
- SE 122nd Ave Bridge over Johnson Creek
- SW Mill Street at SW 18th
- NW Saltzman Road at Highway 30
- SE Foster Rd at SE 155th
- Oxbow Parkway closed near Sandy River due to land slide
- NW Cornell Road is closed between NW Thompson Road and NW 53rd Ave.
- Clackamas River Drive, between Forsythe Road and Springwater Road (Oregon City)
- Fielding Road at the intersection of Briarwood Road
- Paradise Drive, from Hillside Drive to Boardman Avenue
- Boardman Avenue, from Paradise Drive to McLoughlin Boulevard/Highway 99E
- Jennings Avenue, between Rose Street and Addie Street
- Telford Road, at the intersection of Rugg Road
- Telford Road, at the intersection of Sunshine Valley Road
- Balm Grove Loop at Gales Creek Road
- B Street from Forest Grove city limits to Stringtown Road
- Bates Road from Patton Valley Road to Old Highway 47
- Cornell Road (Portland) from Thompson Road to Cumberland/Westover Road
- Dairy Creek Road at Corey Road
- Fern Hill Road
- Gaston Road from Springhill Road to Gaston Fire Hall
- Geiger Road at Spring Hill Road to Gaston Fire Hall
- Helvetia Road from Jacobson Road to Phillips Road
- Gordon Road from Commercial Street to North Avenue
- Laurelwood Road from Hartley Road to Spring Hill Road
- Madeline Street at 197th Street
- Northup Road at Collins Road and Dixie Mountain Road
- Old Hwy 47 at Bates Road
- Rock Creek Bld from Malheur Ave. to Rock Creek Drive
- Strassel Road from the 2 mile mark to Highway 26
- Susbauer Road from Wren Road to Zion Church Road
- Timber Road from north of Highway 6