Now Playing:

News

News | local | An Occupation In Eastern Oregon

Cliven Bundy Calls For Refuge Occupation To Continue


Rancher Cliven Bundy stands along the road near his ranch after speaking with media on Jan. 27, 2016, in Bunkerville, Nevada.

Rancher Cliven Bundy stands along the road near his ranch after speaking with media on Jan. 27, 2016, in Bunkerville, Nevada.

John Locher/AP

Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy said Monday that the occupation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge would continue.

In a notarized letter from Clark County, Nevada, Bundy wrote to Harney County Sheriff David Ward that “We the People of Harney County and also We the People of the citizens of the United States DO GIVE NOTICE THAT WE WILL RETAIN POSSESSION OF THE HARNEY COUNTY RESOURCE CENTER. (Malhaur [sic] National Wildlife Refuge).”

The letter was also sent by certified mail to Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and President Barack Obama.

“Remove all federal and state policing agents out of Harney County,” Bundy wrote. “Place a Harney County sheriff guard post at the entrance road of the Harney County Resource Center stopping all from entering or exiting, for a time.”


The attorneys for Cliven’s son, Ammon Bundy, wouldn’t comment on the letter.

But in the last week, Ammon Bundy and his counsel have repeatedly called for an end to the occupation.

“I have asked those people at the refuge to go home,” Bundy told a federal judge in court Friday. “This was never about an armed standoff.”

A person reached at Cliven Bundy’s ranch Monday confirmed the authenticity of the letter but said the elder Bundy was only taking calls from “fellow patriots” and militants for the rest of the day.

Ammon Bundy is appealing his detention in federal court Tuesday morning. Last week, a judge denied bail to both Ammon and his brother Ryan Bundy, agreeing with federal prosecutors that they posed a flight risk and are a danger to the community.

More News

More OPB