Gun safety and background checks are high on Oregon Senator Ron Wyden’s agenda, as he kicked off another series of virtual town halls on Monday.
The Oregon Democrat is a co-sponsor of Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy’s “Background Check Expansion Act” introduced earlier this month.
“That would make sure that 25% of current gun sales that are now conducted without any background checks would get those,” Wyden told KLCC.
“And then I strongly support safe gun storage; close to 20% of all gun injuries in our nation occur because of the high rate of improperly stored guns in homes.”
Wyden has also introduced legislation to close a loophole allowing gun sales if a background check isn’t done in 72 hours, even if the buyer is prohibited from purchasing a gun.
Wyden’s virtual town hall schedule:
· Clackamas County, held Monday
· Linn County, 3 pm, Thursday, April 1 link to watch
· Lincoln County, 10:30 am, Friday, April 2 link to watch
· Tillamook County, 3 pm, Friday, April 2 link to watch
· Hood River County, 12:30 pm, Saturday, April 3 link to watch
· Jefferson County, 10:30 am, Monday, April 5 link to watch
· Deschutes County, 5:30 pm, Monday, April 5 link to watch
· Klamath and Lake counties, 2 pm, Tuesday, April 6 link to watch
· Josephine County, 1 pm, Wednesday, April 7 link to watch
· Polk County, 2 pm, Thursday, April 8 link to watch
Wyden’s press office says for those Oregonians in those counties wishing to submit questions for the senator, to use this link.