15-year-old Seattle Center shooting suspect charged with first-degree assault; prosecutors seek adult trial

By Amy Radil (KUOW) and Katie Campbell (KUOW)
July 30, 2026 12:47 a.m.
Lit candles line the International Fountain during a community vigil in honor of the three people who were shot and killed during Bite of Seattle the previous day, on Monday, July 27, 2026, at Seattle Center.

Lit candles line the International Fountain during a community vigil in honor of the three people who were shot and killed during Bite of Seattle the previous day, on Monday, July 27, 2026, at Seattle Center.

Megan Farmer / KUOW

A 15-year-old who was arrested for his suspected role in a deadly shooting at the Seattle Center on Sunday night was formally charged on Wednesday.

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:

The teen, who KUOW isn’t naming because he’s a minor, is charged with first-degree assault with a firearm enhancement — for firing multiple times into a crowd — and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Seattle Police Chief Shon Barnes said Tuesday the 15-year-old had an illegal “ghost gun” — an untraceable firearm assembled from individual parts — with an extended magazine that was missing rounds after the shooting.

In a statement to reporters, King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office spokesperson Casey McNerthney said, “Some people have asked: Why not charge murder today? Police investigators have not referred the case as a murder case because the investigation is ongoing. If they refer information for additional charges, prosecutors will review that information immediately.”

Related: A shootout that killed 3 at a food festival near Seattle's Space Needle may have been gang-related

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:

The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is also seeking to have the teen tried in adult court. The judge will have to go through a legal process that typically takes several months before making a decision on that request. The maximum sentence for the assault charge, if convicted as an adult, would be roughly eight to 10 years, plus five years for the firearm enhancement. However, the judge would have discretion to sentence the teenager to a shorter term than the adult range.

Police say it’s presently not clear who fired which shots in the shootout, which killed three and injured five, including a 2-year-old. Prosecutors said ballistics testing is ongoing, so the initial charge accuses the suspect of assault against “John Doe,” rather than a named victim.

“Police allege that one of the men who died in the shooting, 19-year-old Junior Cee Niko Semo, was involved in the gunfight along with at least one other unknown suspect,” said McNerthney from the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. “SPD recovered three guns from the scene so far.”

Related: Police arrested a 15-year-old after a festival shooting that killed 3 near the Space Needle

Officers recovered two guns in addition to the ghost gun: one with an extended magazine they believe was also involved in the shooting, and one officials say wasn’t used Sunday night.

This is the first case involving the 15-year-old suspect to be referred to Seattle Police, according to prosecutors. It’s also the only criminal case so far related to the Bite of Seattle shooting.

The next hearing was set for Thursday at 9 a.m.

Amy Radil and Katie Campbell are reporters with KUOW. This story comes to you from the Northwest News Network, a collaboration between public media organizations in Oregon and Washington.

It is part of OPB’s broader effort to ensure that everyone in our region has access to quality journalism that informs, entertains and enriches their lives. To learn more, visit our journalism partnerships page.

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR: