Oregon’s problems with blue-green algae have spread to another lake. State officials have issued a health advisory for Upper Klamath Lake. It’s in southern Oregon, west of Klamath Falls.

Toxins from blue-green algae can be harmful to humans and animals.

In the affected areas of Klamath Lake, visitors should avoid swimming and activities such as water skiing or power boating. Toxins are not absorbed through the skin, but people with skin sensitivities may experience a puffy red rash at the affected area.

Drinking water that contains the algae is especially dangerous. The toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating water with camping filters.

Oregon health officials say that if you choose to eat fish from the affected water, you should remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking. Fillets should also be rinsed with clean water. You shouldn’t eat freshwater clams or mussels from Upper Klamath Lake.