Various K-12 schools, colleges and universities in Oregon have canceled classes either due to the close proximity of wildfires or because of power outages not allowing students to access the internet.
As of Wednesday morning, the following schools and districts have publicly announced closures:
Portland metro area
- Canby School District is closed Wednesday with no meal service.
- Clackamas Community College is closed Wednesday. All classes and activities are canceled.
- Colton School District said comprehensive distance learning will be postponed until further notice due to fire evacuations. The district hopes to begin distance learning Thursday, but it is advising people to reach out to individual schools for information.
- Estacada School District will not be offering meal service or tech service Wednesday. It will be closed through Friday. The school campuses are open to fire evacuees.
- Molalla River School District is closed and the start of school is postponed until Sept. 14.
- Oregon City School District is closed and the start of school is postponed. Meal service is available at designated pick-up sites.
- Sherwood School District has closed all outdoor activities Wednesday due to air quality issues.
Salem, Corvallis, Albany area
- Alsea School District in Benton County is closed.
- Cascade School District is closed with no kindergarten or preschool Wednesday
- Community Action Head Start said all Head Start, EHS and childcare partnerships sites are closed Wednesday in Marion and Polk counties.
- Gervais School District, which has schools in Marion, Polk, Linn and Benton counties, said all offices are closed Wednesday due to air quality. Online classes will still begin as scheduled, and phone calls will still be taken. Daycare is closed, Chromebook pick-up is closed and there will be no food delivery.
- Mt. Angel School District is closed Wednesday with no meal grab-n-go or delivery.
- Salem area private and charter schools
- Scio School District is closed with no textbook pickup and no parent orientation.
- Western Oregon University’s campus in Monmouth is closed Wednesday until 5 p.m. due to air quality.
- Woodburn School District is closed with no meals or other district events.
- All Lane Community College locations are closed Wednesday due to air quality. Limited remote services will be available. The college is urging employees to check their emails for more information.
- Pleasant Hill School District in Lane County closed Tuesday evening due to a power outage. It has not sent out an update as of Wednesday.
- Eugene, Springfield, Albany, Roseburg, Corvallis private and charter schools
- Elkton School District in Douglas County is closed Wednesday with no K-12 comprehensive distance-learning or K-3 onsite learning.
- Glide School District in Douglas County is closed Wednesday due to air quality and dangerous driving conditions. School is canceled for the rest of the week. Red Cross shelters are housed at the Old Middle School Gym, and the district said it will open all gyms for shelters if needed.
- Oakland School District in Douglas County is closed Wednesday due to fire danger and air quality.
- Southern Oregon University in Ashland said its campus operations Wednesday will be “minimal essential (maximizing remote work)."
- Sutherlin School District in Douglas County is closed Wednesday due to fire danger and air quality.
- Winston-Dillard School District in Douglas County is closed Wednesday due to air quality. Meal services will continue being delivered to bus stops, including K-3.
- Yoncalla School District in Douglas County is canceling all in-person classes Wednesday. Online classes are still in session.
- Lincoln County School District is closed Wednesday.
- Oregon Coast Community College’s Newport campus may open at noon Wednesday, conditions permitting. Lincoln City and Waldport Centers are closed.