Lane Martin was hit nine times by bullets from Portland Police Officer Gary Doran’s gun on July 30 in East Portland, according to a medical examiner’s report.

At the time he was shot, Martin had drugs in his system, including “the presence of methamphetamine and amphetamine,” the autopsy report states.

The Multnomah County medical examiner determined Martin died as a result of gunshot wounds to his torso.

Just before he was shot, Martin had threatened a security guard with a hatchet and a pocket knife, police said, and claimed he was a “federal officer.” The Portland Police Bureau released its investigative report in the shooting this week, which described a chaotic situation with Martin, clearly in crisis.

Police said Martin wasn’t complying with commands to drop “a black folding knife with keys attached” and “started to advance on the officers” when he was shot.

On Monday, a grand jury determined Officer Doran would not face criminal charges, saying he acted lawfully to defend himself or the public. While Doran’s bullets hit Martin nine times, he fired his 9mm Glock 11 or 12 times during the encounter, according to PPB’s investigation, as well as audio shared by the attorney representing Martin’s family.

Also on Monday, Martin’s family sued the city of Portland, accusing Portland police of using excessive, deadly force against someone with a disability.

“The City of Portland and Officer Doran will undoubtedly seek to explain this shooting as a calculated, rational decision by the officer,” said Jesse Merrithew, an attorney representing Martin’s family.

“The cold facts of the autopsy report, on the other hand, paint a picture of an officer who simply lost his cool,” said Merrithew. “He hit Lane nine of those times, far more than would have been necessary to stop a man with a pocket knife.”

Martin’s family has said Lane had a serious mental illness, possibly bipolar disorder. They had tried to get him treatment for it in the months before he was killed.

Earlier in July, he’d been on a 72-hour mental health hold at the Unity Center, Portland’s psychiatric emergency room.

Martin grew up in Reno, Nevada. He had a job in the facilities department at Portland State University and was pursing a degree in fine art at PSU.

Martin was in recovery and was open about his past history of addiction and incarceration.