Now Playing:


local | News

Portland Police, School Leaders Investigate Fight After Football Game

Portland Police are investigating a fight that broke out Friday night near a MAX station after a high school football game.

Portland Public Schools has already contacted parents at the schools involved – longtime rivals Grant and Jefferson high schools.

Police spokesman Sgt. Chris Burley said when officers arrived from East Precinct, teenagers scattered.

“We did receive reports that there had been fights among juveniles, however when officers arrived, the groups had moved away from the transit station and officers did not observe fighting among juveniles when they arrived,” said Burley. 

Burley said an adult male on the MAX platform reported being assaulted by two young people. The victim’s injuries did not require medical attention. His alleged attackers were arrested at the MAX station and turned over to their parent-guardians.

Police are hoping security video may shed light on what happened before officers arrived.

Portland Public Schools spokesman Dave Northfield said the principals at the two high schools are gathering information.

“We are investigating reports of student altercations that occurred after the Grant-Jefferson football game Friday night,” the two schools said in a statement. “The reports suggest there were some confrontations at or near a MAX station near Marshall High School, where the game took place.”

Grant and Jefferson are longtime rivals. Grant narrowly won Friday night’s football game, 14-13.

The statement from principals at the two schools said there were no problems reported at the game itself.

In an email, Northfield said the security level at the game was “ample,” counting five school resource officers, up to 10 additional Portland Police officers, as well as teachers and administrators from both schools.

The game took place at the Marshall High campus in Southeast Portland — Grant high’s home for the next two years while PPS rebuilds the campus in Northeast. 

In an email, Northfield told OPB that the school district’s security chief, George Weatheroy, is discussing security with TriMet and Portland Police “to see if there is a way to increase presence at MAX and TriMet bus stops at times when there might be increased foot traffic following a game or other school event.”

More News

More OPB

OPB has updated its privacy policy. You can find details here.

Related Content