Think Out Loud

Oregon State students and faculty react to university president’s resignation

By Julie Sabatier (OPB)
March 23, 2021 11:13 p.m. Updated: March 24, 2021 9 p.m.

Broadcast: Wednesday, March 24

The OSU President F. King Alexander stands at a lectern bearing the name of the university he oversees.

F. King Alexander speaks from a lectern in Dec. 2019, after being named as Oregon State University's next president. He faced pressure to resign, after a damaging report regarding the mishandling of sexual misconduct allegations when he was at the helm of Louisiana State University.

Courtesy of Oregon State University

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:

Oregon State University President F. King Alexander resigned on Tuesday. This comes after the OSU Board of Trustees initially voted to place Alexander on probation, following a report that detailed the mishandling of sexual misconduct allegations at Louisiana State University, where Alexander served as chancellor and president before he came to OSU last year. Students, faculty, alumni and others were clearly not satisfied with the board’s initial decision and ramped up the pressure, with the Faculty Senate expressing “no confidence” and even calling for board members to resign as well.

We hear from OSU Faculty Senate President Selina Heppell and Millicent Durand, a senior at OSU and a reporter for the student newspaper, the Daily Barometer.

Contact “Think Out Loud®”

If you’d like to comment on any of the topics in this show or suggest a topic of your own, please get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter, send an email to thinkoutloud@opb.org, or you can leave a voicemail for us at 503-293-1983. The call-in phone number during the noon hour is 888-665-5865.

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR: