Final disclosure reports filed before Tuesday's election show that the two major candidates for Oregon governor are continuing their torrid fundraising. Democratic incumbent Gov. Kate Brown raised more than $17 million. Republican challenger Knute Buehler raised $18.5 million.
So far, the two have doubled the previous record for an Oregon governor’s race, set in 2010. The reports cover money raised and spent up to eight days before the election.
In that period, Buehler received several business-related donations of up to $10,000. Brown received $100,000 from the Planned Parenthood PAC of Oregon. Abortion rights advocates have staunchly backed her re-election campaign.
During the campaign, both candidates were heavily supported by the partisan gubernatorial associations that are funded by numerous special interests. The Republican Governors Association gave Buehler nearly $3.4 million while the Democratic Governors Association sent $2 million to Brown.
Nike co-founder Phil Knight attracted national attention by giving a total of $2.5 million to Buehler over the course of his campaign (Knight also gave another $1 million to the Republican Governors Association). Buehler was also heavily backed by the timber industry and several other business interests. Brown received more than $2 million from organized labor as well as hefty contributions from a Democratic women's group, environmental organizations and a gun-control group.
The tally for Brown and Buehler together tops $35 million. The previous Oregon record for gubernatorial election fundraising pales in comparison.
In 2010, Republican Chris Dudley and Democratic incumbent John Kitzhaber together raised more than $17.7 million for their campaigns. Kitzhaber edged Dudley by a small margin in the election.
OPB Election Coverage 2018
- Live election results for Oregon, Washington and the national race for control of the U.S. House and Senate.
- Oregon Governor Candidates Make Final Plea — Aimed At White Suburban Women
- Poll Shows Brown Holds Slight Lead In Oregon Governor's Race
- What Phil Knight's Enormous Donations Mean In Oregon Governor's Race
- Some Oregon County Ballot Measures Give Sweeping Authority To Sheriffs
Oregon Gubernatorial Candidates
- Profiles: Kate Brown | Knute Buehler | Patrick Starnes
- On The Issues: Climate Change | Death Penalty | Education | Immigration | Health Care | Housing | PERS
Oregon Ballot Measures
- Measure 102: Constitutional Amendment On Affordable Housing
- Measure 103: The Grocery Tax Ban
- Measure 104: The Supermajority Tax Requirement
- Measure 105: The Sanctuary State Measure
- Measure 106: The Abortion Measure
Portland Metro Ballot Measures
Portland City Council Race
- On The Record: Jo Ann Hardesty | Loretta Smith
- Profiles In Leadership: Jo Ann Hardesty | Loretta Smith
- Portland City Council Candidates Issues Q&A
- Sanctuary Cities For Gun Rights? Oregon Militias Try New Political Tactic
- Democrats Step Up To Challenge For Greg Walden's Seat
- The Twists And Turns In The Race To Replace Bend Rep. Knute Buehler
- In Carolyn Long, Jaime Herrera Beutler Faces Her Biggest Challenge Yet
- Even In Washington, Gun Control Debates Are Emotional And Intense
- A Grieving Grandmother's Quest To Change Washington's Gun Laws